Peter Costello stands down as Nine chair days after airport altercation with The Australian journalist

Embattled Nine Entertainment chairman Peter Costello has resigned suddenly, two days after being involved in an altercation with a journalist.

The ASX-listed media group said on Sunday he had been succeeded by his deputy Catherine West.

His resignation came after a long meeting of the Nine Entertainment (NEC) board on Friday night.

Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Download today

Video on Friday appeared to show Costello pushing over a reporter from The Australian, Liam Mendes, at Sydney Airport as the latter peppered him with questions about the sexual harassment and bullying scandals dogging Nine.

Nine’s announcement of the resignation did not reference the fracas, which was filmed by Mendes.

However, it said “the board recognises action and accountability are required to maintain trust”.

Costello, the former federal treasurer, said in a statement he had intended to retire at the end of the Paris Olympics, beginning next month.

“I have today informed the board of NEC that I will pull forward that timing, stand down as Chair and resign as a Director,” he said.

“The board has been supportive through the events of the last month and last few days in particular.

“But going forward I think they need a new Chair to unite them around a fresh vision and someone with the energy to lead to that vision for the next decade.”

– With Warren Barnsley

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment