T20 World Cup: Scotland full of belief after England game and class themselves favourites vs Namibia, says Brad Wheal | Cricket News

Seam bowler Brad Wheal says going to toe to toe with reigning champions England has strengthened Scotland’s belief that they can cause a stir at the T20 World Cup.

Openers Michael Jones and George Munsey laid down a marker by sharing an unbeaten stand of 90 in 10 overs against a high-quality English attack on Tuesday, with rain delays raising the target to a formidable 109 on DLS.

Scotland’s chances of bowling their way to a famous win never got off the ground as the heavens opened and left the sides with a point each but, as a statement of intent, it was mission accomplished for the associate nation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Munsey hit a superb reverse-swept six off Adil Rashid at Kensington Oval on Tuesday

“Munns and Jonesy going out there and putting the right foot forward has given the rest of the squad some good confidence to go on through the rest of this tournament and believe we’re good enough to be here,” said Wheal.

“We believe we’re good enough to compete and beat the best teams in the world. We feel like we’re in a good position to win some games. We showed a small glimpse of what we could have done against the current world champions.

“It was definitely a defendable target, I mean they would have been chasing 11 an over. That’s definitely something that our bowling line-up could have defended.”

Jones’ six off Chris Jordan in Scotland’s game against England smashed a solar panel

Scotland class themselves as favourites against Namibia

Scotland do not have long to wait to work their frustrations out, with Namibia next up at the Kensington Oval on Thursday (8pm first ball, live on Sky Sports Cricket).

Namibia won their opening game against Oman after a Super Over and have a 3-0 record against the Scots in the 20-over format over the last five years.

But Wheal insists his side are in no mood to play second fiddle as they look to qualify from Group B as one of the top two teams.

He added: “Realistically our best chance of getting into the Super 8 stage, competing and turning some big teams over is looking at the next game and then the Oman game after that.

David Wiese stared as Namibia beat Oman in a dramatic Super Over in the T20 World Cup earlier this week

“One game at a time, but we’ll take the belief in what we’ve done against England.

“I think in our eyes, we definitely see ourselves as favourites because we know that these are games we can and we should win. We’re going into the game with the belief that we’re going to win.

Wheal forceful with Hampshire about World Cup involvement

Scotland’s attack is missing the experienced Josh Davey after he was not released for duty by Somerset, but Wheal had no such issues after a frank discussion with Hampshire over his availability.

“It’s a bit of a tricky one…but I was pretty open and honest with Hampshire. I said, ‘listen, I want to go to the World Cup’,” he explained.

Eoin Morgan, Nasser Hussain and Urooj Mumtaz join Ian Ward to discuss their dream T20 World Cup XI

“I wanted to be available for selection and they were pretty happy with that. They understand that it’s an opportunity to go out there and play against the best of the best. It’s a learning experience.

“Every opportunity to put the Scotland shirt on is an incredible one and one that I’ll cherish forever.

Watch Scotland’s T20 World Cup clash with Namibia live on Sky Sports Cricket from 7.30pm on Thursday (8pm first ball). Every match from the tournament is live on Sky Sports.

Ad content | Stream Sky Sports on NOW

Stream Sky Sports live with no contract on a Month or Day membership on NOW. Instant access to live action from the Premier League and EFL, plus darts, cricket, tennis, golf and so much more.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment