Search for Clapham chemical attack suspect Abdul Ezedi enters third day | London

The search for the suspected chemical attacker Abdul Ezedi has entered its third day as police renewed calls for the 35-year-old to hand himself in.

Ezedi, from the Newcastle area, has been on the run since Wednesday’s attack and is described as having very “significant injuries to the right side of his face”.

A “vulnerable” woman and her daughters were injured after a corrosive alkaline substance was thrown at them in Clapham, south London.

The 31-year-old mother, believed to be known to Ezedi, remained “very poorly” and sedated in hospital, with her injuries thought to be “life-changing”, police said.

The injuries to her daughters, aged three and eight, were “not likely to be life-changing”. The victims were taken to hospital along with passersby and police officers who were injured as they tried to help.

The Metropolitan police commander Jon Savell told reporters on Friday that “significant and important pieces of evidence” were recovered in searches carried out in east London and Newcastle on Thursday night.

Two empty containers labelled with corrosive warnings were found at an address in Newcastle, and tests were being carried out to check whether they held the substance used during the attack, PA Media reported.

Savell said: “In terms of our manhunt for Ezedi, we’ve got a large team of very experienced detectives leading the manhunt, using all the tactics that you would expect us to use, lots of officers out on the ground.

“We’re working very closely with colleagues from Transport for London, British Transport Police and our colleagues in Northumbria police as well.

“Last night, five search warrants were executed – two in east London and three up in Newcastle. We’ve recovered some significant and important pieces of evidence which will help with our investigation.”

Ezedi attempted to drive away from the scene, crashing into a stationary vehicle and then fleeing on foot, police said. He boarded a tube at Clapham South underground station and by 8pm he was at King’s Cross tube station.

At 8.42pm, Ezedi was captured on CCTV in a branch of Tesco on Caledonian Road, pictured with a “fairly significant facial injury”, where he bought a bottle of water. He then boarded a southbound Victoria line tube train at 9pm, the last confirmed sighting.

Savell said to Ezedi: “Abdul, you clearly have got some very significant injuries. We’ve seen the images. You need some medical help, so do the right thing and hand yourself in.”

Ezedi, reportedly from Afghanistan, was convicted in 2018 for sexual assault and exposure and granted refugee status in 2021 or 2022. He was believed by British government officials to be an Afghan national who arrived in a lorry in 2016.

His brother, Hassan, told the Sun he would hand the suspect in if he knew where he was and urged him to give himself up. “I don’t know if he’s alive or where he is now. I saw him briefly last week. He wasn’t living with me. He was in Newcastle,” he told the paper.

A number of Conservative MPs have since questioned how he was granted refugee status, despite two previous failed attempts and his criminal convictions. He is understood to have been allowed to stay in the UK after a priest confirmed he had converted to Christianity.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment