
Reviews and recommendations are unbiased and products are independently selected. Postmedia may earn an affiliate commission from purchases made through links on this page.
Article content
Renowned magician David Copperfield is facing accusations of sexual misconduct by 16 women.
Advertisement 2
Article content
The accusers, many of whom were underage at the time, alleged Copperfield drugged, groped and groomed them across four decades.
Article content
The shocking expose was published by The Guardian on Wednesday, and drew on interviews with more than 100 people.
Copperfield was accused of drugging three women and groping four women during live performances.
The magician also allegedly spoke on the phone with five teenage girls and their families over the years, bought a drink for a 17-year-old girl and offered NDAs to two women who had previously agreed to make their claims public to the publication, the report said.
Four other women — three of whom were underage at the time — accused Copperfield of groping them during his live stage performances.
“Carla” told the outlet she met Copperfield in 1991 in Georgia after she was called up to the stage.
Just shy of 16 at the time, she believes Copperfield “groomed” her, and allegedly gave her a Valentine’s Day gift with a note that read, “In 2 years I will be back.”
Article content
Advertisement 3
Article content
He allegedly returned two years later and “Carla” claims he took her virginity.
“I was a young schoolgirl infatuated with a man who was famous, and I think he used that to benefit him,” she told the publication.
“Why would he continue to reach out to me through those years if he wasn’t planning on pouncing as soon as I turned 18?”
Copperfield’s lawyers denied that he groomed Carla and said the two had a “consensual relationship.”
Former employees also piled on, claiming Copperfield asked them to approach attractive women at his magic shows and invite them to join him during or after his performances.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO
Copperfield’s rep issued a statement to the Daily Mail denying all the allegations against him, saying they are “the exact opposite” of who he is.
Advertisement 4
Article content
“David has a record of risking his career to help protect women from powerful predators,” his rep said.
“Most of these historic accusations have been made before, and all of them are as false now as they were then.”
His rep said that the magician is considering the “appropriate” next steps “over these false and scurrilous allegations.”
The statement added that Copperfield “continues to support anyone who has experienced any form of abuse or discrimination. The movement must succeed, but false accusations must stop for it to flourish.”
Recommended from Editorial
-
EPSTEIN CONFIDENTIAL: Dirty details on pedo’s bombshell who’s who
-
#MeToo juggernaut crushes Copperfield, Jeremy and Weinstein — again.
-
French actor Gerard Depardieu faces another sexual assault complaint over alleged groping
Article content