Leaf notes: OT over too quickly, AHL to act on Marlies-Sens scrap

Get the latest from Lance Hornby straight to your inbox

Article content

Sudden death overtime has become exactly that for the Maple Leafs this season.

Advertisement 2

Article content

With Thursday’s 4-3 loss to the Islanders, they’ve dropped five of the past seven tie-breakers in 3-on-3 play and are 8-8 overall, propped up by four wins in the shootout, versus one defeat.

Article content

Coach Sheldon Keefe could previously point to dramatic third-period comebacks getting the Leafs to OT and being happy to salvage the bonus point, but that has masked the recent trend of setbacks since early December.

Twice of late they sacrificed the extra point to lowly Columbus and missed two more versus top-ranked Boston and New York. On Thursday, Keefe baffled many observers by putting Jake McCabe with Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner against the Isles rather than his best offensive defenceman, Morgan Rielly.

“We’ve lost a lot of games in the first minute, with Matthews, Marner and Rielly together,” Keefe reminded.

Article content

Advertisement 3

Article content

“In fact, NHL Stats lists 12 times since 2019 that Toronto has lost in the opening minute using any combined trio, seven of those in less than 40 seconds.”

The Leafs, like all teams, try and keep a viable second unit in reserve.

“(They could’ve rolled out) William Nylander next, paired with Rielly in the second group,” Keefe said. “That was intriguing and works for us.

“But really (choosing the trio) is a bit of a feel, a bit of a historic thing. You’re kind of going through it, (reviewing) some things. Some of it is trying to spread (opportunity).

“(Assistant coach Mike Van Ryn) comes down and says he really likes McCabe to start and away we go. You’re hoping to get through the first bit and get a new line put, but it didn’t work out.”

Advertisement 4

Article content

Rielly assured the subject of OT and lost points gets plenty of attention and expects in the second half that the hockey gods even things out.

“We talk about what we can do to improve in overtime, how to play it. If it goes your way it’s great, but you end up losing and it can frustrating. You hope it all comes out in the wash. You want to tighten that up, but ultimately we had been winning without (OT) in the first place.”

FARM FRACAS

As of Saturday afternoon, the American Hockey League had not handed down any supplementary discipline for a second-period buzzer beef between the Marlies and Belleville Senators at Coca-Cola Coliseum.

As the teams crossed paths heading to their dressing rooms with Toronto up 3-0, Bokondji Imama of the Sens jabbed Dennis Hildeby with his blade. Mayhem ensued with Kyle Clifford of the Marlies coming back and leaping on Imama. There had already been seven roughing/fighting penalties in the period and Imama was assessed 30 minutes for the late fracas, spearing, fighting and leaving the bench.

Advertisement 5

Article content

Clifford got five and a game, Joseph Blandisi a misconduct and further exchanges in the third period of the 8-0 final left just eight Sens on the visitors bench at one stage.

Keefe, who knows Clifford well from the Leafs, said it was “good to see” him looking out for the rookie goalie.

“Not surprising given the character of Cliff in particular, but also with what we’re building down there. It comes through in those moments.”

Draft pick forward Ryan Tverberg had four goals as the Marlies ended a seven-game losing streak before a long road trip.

LOOSE LEAFS

With anticipation Hildeby could be called up Sunday, general manager Brad Treliving was at Friday’s match checking on him and other prospects …  Nick Robertson and Ryan Reaves continue to be the scratches up front, Conor Timmins and William Lagesson at the back, though that likely changes a bit with the back to back … After the Colorado game, the Leafs have just five Saturday home dates remaining on the regular schedule … Leaf goaltending great Mike Palmateer turned 70 on Saturday.

[email protected]

Article content

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment