Reviews and recommendations are unbiased and products are independently selected. Postmedia may earn an affiliate commission from purchases made through links on this page.
Article content
Long before Dominic West took on the role of Prince Charles on The Crown, he and Prince Harry were pals in real life.
But the two men no longer speak after the royal cut ties with West.
Article content
West, who has starred on The Affair and The Wire, was asked about his friendship with the royal, to which the actor revealed that it is no more.
“We sort of [lost touch because] I said too much in a press conference, and so, we didn’t speak after that,” West explained during an episode of Sunday Morning on Times Radio in the U.K.
Advertisement 2
Article content
In 2013, West and Harry took part in Walking With the Wounded, a charity event where the men captained separate teams of military veterans on an expedition through Antarctica.
Radio host Kate McCann asked West what he said at the time, to which West replied, “I think I was asked what we did. [And] what we did to celebrate when we got there and [I] probably said too much.”
During a January 2014 press conference nearly one year after their philanthropic Antarctic adventure, West was asked about the experience, particularly with Harry.
“[Harry] was very much part of the team,” the actor said. “He seemed to specialize in building latrines. He built this incredible castellated structure with blocks to keep out the wind, and it even had a [toilet] roll holder.”
Advertisement 3
Article content

As for the pair’s falling out, West stressed that it “was over 10 years ago,” and never got to consult with Harry about playing his father on the Netflix series.
No word on what Harry thought of his former friend’s portrayal but the royal has seen the show.
“It gives you a rough idea about what that lifestyle, what the pressures of putting duty and service above family and everything else, what can come from that,” Harry said of The Crown during a February 2021 appearance on The Late Late Show With James Corden.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO
“I’m way more comfortable with The Crown than I am seeing the stories written about my family, or my wife, or myself.”
Harry also noted on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert earlier this year that he “fact-checks” the new episodes.
“Which, by the way, is another reason why it’s so important that history has it right,” Harry said.
West joined The Crown in 2022, replacing Josh O’Connor in Season 5 as the older version of Charles.
Recommended from Editorial
-
SUSSEX TO BE THEM: Was 2023 worst year yet for Harry, Meghan?
-
Prince Harry ‘completely by himself’ as family said goodbye to queen, book says
-
Emma Corrin ‘incredibly moved’ by Prince Harry’s ‘The Crown’ admission
Article content