Article content
A 25-year-old man who was charged with aggravated assault and other offences after a deadly “unprovoked” attack in downtown Toronto earlier this year now faces manslaughter.
Article content
Toronto Police say the charge against the accused in the Feb. 27 attack near Elizabeth and Dundas St. W. – west of of Bay St. – was upgraded after the completion of an autopsy.
“It is alleged that a man approached a group of people who were outside on a sidewalk,” Homicide Det.-Sgt. Alan Bartlett said in a statement released Saturday. “The man got into an altercation with the group.”
He alleged the man “struck the victim in the head causing him to fall to the ground” and the attack was “unprovoked.”
The victim, who died later in hospital, was subsequently identified at Gregory Lawrie, 50, of Toronto.
Recommended from Editorial
-
Man, 51, woman, 56, charged in historical sex trafficking case
-
Warrant issued for second suspect in Hamilton shooting
-
Man, 52, charged after $1M in stolen Shoppers Drug Mart items found in Peel Region
Article content
Officers searched the area and located a suspect who was arrested.
The accused, Taylor Harker, of Toronto, was charged at that time with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, two counts of obstructing a peace officer, failure to comply with a release order, possession of a device while prohibited, and breach of probation.
“As a result of the autopsy, the charge has been upgraded to manslaughter,” Bartlett said Saturday.
Police confirmed Harker was previously sought in March 2021 as part of 55 Division’s Wanted Wednesday program for more than a dozen violent offences.
RECOMMENDED VIDEO
At that time, he was wanted on five counts of assault, two counts of assault/choking, one count of assault with a weapon, one count of criminal harassment, one count of publishing an intimate image without consent, and five counts of uttering threats causing death.
The outcome of those charges is unknown.
Harker’s next court appearance is scheduled for June 6.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is urged to call the Homicide Unit at 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Share this article in your social network