NSW storm warnings
Eastern NSW can expect storms that may become severe this afternoon, potentially bringing large hail and damaging winds, the Bureau of Meteorology says.
Thunderstorm forecast today: Chance of thunderstorms in many parts. Some storms in the east may become SEVERE this afternoon and evening, with potential for LARGE HAIL (> 2cm), DAMAGING WINDS (> 90 km/h), and HEAVY FALLS. Monitor warning https://t.co/Ss766eSCrL pic.twitter.com/1GKz7Pv17n
— Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales (@BOM_NSW) December 28, 2023
Severe storms are also likely tomorrow in the north-east of the state (with the BoM concerned that these will also bring destructive winds, giant hail and intense rain).
Storm forecast (Saturday): SEVERE STORMS LIKELY in the NE, with LARGE HAIL (>2cm) DAMAGING WINDS (> 90 km/h) HEAVY RAIN all concerns. VERY DANGEROUS STORM possible in the far NE with a risk of DESTRUCTIVE WINDS/GIANT HAIL/INTENSE RAINFALL. Monitor warning https://t.co/Ss766eSCrL pic.twitter.com/WKGGpAg3tQ
— Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales (@BOM_NSW) December 29, 2023
Key events
Australian Open tennis prize money up by $10 million
Prize money at next month’s Australian Open has been significantly boosted with the world’s best players sharing a record pool of $86.5 million, with the singles winners receiving more than $3 million each.
Tournament organisers announced on Friday prize money at Melbourne Park had been increased by 13 per cent – $10 million – for 2024.
The biggest boost goes to players who bow out in qualifying and in the early rounds of singles and doubles.
Players will collect collect $31,250 – up from $26,000 – just to make the first round of qualifiers while first-round losers in the main draw will net 13 per cent more than this year, earning $120,000.
Semi-finalists will net $990,000, losing finalists $1.725m and the singles champions will receive $3.15m each – an increase of $175,000.
Prize money has more than doubled from the $40 million back in 2015.
Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said:
We’ve upped prize money for every round at the Australian Open with the major increases in qualifying and the early rounds of singles and doubles.
We want to ensure Australia remains the launch-pad for the global tennis season and the players and their teams have everything they need to help them perform at their best and continue to enjoy the Happy Slam.
– AAP
Ukraine envoy pleads for support as eyes turn to Gaza
Ukraine’s ambassador has called for sustained support as his country pushes for victory against Russia’s invasion.
Vasyl Myroshnychenko has called on leaders to not forget his nation’s struggle as the focus shifts toward Israel’s war in the Middle East and international aid for Kyiv dwindles:
If evil goes unpunished, it will proliferate – it creates a dangerous situation globally. At the end of the day, it’s not charity, it’s an investment in your own security.
He highlighted the breaking of international norms, where nations would feel emboldened to invade others:
We cannot allow authoritarianism to rule over democracy.
The envoy has requested Australian coal to help Ukrainian power stay on through the cold winter months but is yet to hear back from the federal government:
Will you have electricity or will you not have electricity? It makes it very difficult for the Ukrainian population to survive without it.
– AAP
Tributes flow for ‘talented and dearly loved’ teenage surfer killed by shark in SA
A teenage boy killed in a shark attack off the coast of South Australia has been remembered as a talented and dearly loved member of the surfing community.
The 15-year-old, identified by friends and a family member as Khai Cowley, was mauled by a suspected great white while surfing off the remote Ethel beach on the Yorke Peninsula west of Adelaide about 1.30pm on Thursday.
Emergency services rushed to the popular surfing spot in Innes national park but were unable to save the boy, who was from Maslin Beach in Adelaide’s south, police said.
Surfing SA paid tribute to the talented surfer on Thursday night:
We are devastated to learn that a young, talented and dearly loved member of our surfing community was the surfer involved in the attack at Ethel Beach, and are absolutely shattered to hear that the incident was fatal.
Our utmost deepest sympathies are with his family.
Read the full story from AAP here:
Sydney hospital says it is continuing to investigate cyber attack
St Vincent’s hospital in Sydney has given an update on last week’s cyber attack.
It said that on Tuesday, the day of the attack, the incursion had been contained and external security experts, CyberCX, had been engaged. It had also notified the relevant governments. “No cyber criminal activity” had been detected on its networks since the next day.
Butevidence was found that “cyber criminals had removed some data from our network”:
St Vincent’s continues to investigate this cyber crime. Our experts are working around the clock to ascertain the contents of the data copied and stolen from us. This is a complex and highly technical activity.
Should we discover that any sensitive data has been stolen by cyber criminals, we will do all we can to contact those affected and give them information about the steps they can take to protect themselves and support them through that process.
The hospital has confirmed that the cyber attack has “not impacted the ability of St Vincent’s to deliver the services our patients, residents, and the broader community rely on across our hospital, aged care, and virtual and home health networks”.
Paraglider dies after crashing into Victorian paddock
A paraglider has died after crashing into a paddock in Towong, Victoria police have confirmed.
Emergency services were called to the area on Murray Valley Highway about 2.40pm yesterday. Despite paramedics working on the man, he died at the scene. He is yet to be formally identified.
The death is not believed to be suspicious and police will prepare a report for the coroner.
To the bin it goes.
You can be forgiven for wanting to put #2023 in the bin. A failed referendum, rising interests rates, a cost-of-living crisis and news that major corporations are raking it in left Australians bitter and exhausted. Take a look back on the highlights and lowlights of 2023. pic.twitter.com/BLUC4Nq4hv
— Guardian Australia (@GuardianAus) December 29, 2023
NSW storm warnings
Eastern NSW can expect storms that may become severe this afternoon, potentially bringing large hail and damaging winds, the Bureau of Meteorology says.
Thunderstorm forecast today: Chance of thunderstorms in many parts. Some storms in the east may become SEVERE this afternoon and evening, with potential for LARGE HAIL (> 2cm), DAMAGING WINDS (> 90 km/h), and HEAVY FALLS. Monitor warning https://t.co/Ss766eSCrL pic.twitter.com/1GKz7Pv17n
— Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales (@BOM_NSW) December 28, 2023
Severe storms are also likely tomorrow in the north-east of the state (with the BoM concerned that these will also bring destructive winds, giant hail and intense rain).
Storm forecast (Saturday): SEVERE STORMS LIKELY in the NE, with LARGE HAIL (>2cm) DAMAGING WINDS (> 90 km/h) HEAVY RAIN all concerns. VERY DANGEROUS STORM possible in the far NE with a risk of DESTRUCTIVE WINDS/GIANT HAIL/INTENSE RAINFALL. Monitor warning https://t.co/Ss766eSCrL pic.twitter.com/WKGGpAg3tQ
— Bureau of Meteorology, New South Wales (@BOM_NSW) December 29, 2023
Doritos’ seasoning sparks ‘worker safety concerns’
Factory workers claim they are having difficulty breathing and experiencing skin irritation after dealing with the seasoning used to make “flamin’ hot” Doritos, a union says.
SafeWork SA is looking into the claims after the United Workers Union alleged employees at a local Smith’s Snackfood Company factory raised significant safety concerns about the “improper handling of strongly irritating substances”.
In a report sent to the workplace regulator, the union said “flaming hot seasoning” dispersed across the factory production area every couple of weeks from a seasoning machine.
“After interviewing 13 workers from the afternoon shift, 11 reported various effects, including sneezing, coughing, eye and skin irritation, runny nose, sore throat, chest discomfort, and difficulty breathing,” the union’s report said.
The union alleged Smith’s failed to maintain safe systems of work and, in another claim, said the factory’s waste hall was unsafe.
PepsiCo, which owns The Smith’s Snackfood Company, was contacted for comment.
– AAP
NSW ambulance chiefs will be addressing media at 1pm to deliver a water safety message, after a number of drownings across the state. We will bring you more updates on this then.
Refugee health ‘two to three times worse in offshore detention’
The health of refugees and asylum seekers held in Australia’s offshore detention centres in the Pacific has been found to be two to three times worse than for those detained on mainland Australia.
The conclusion was reached in a research paper published in the latest issue of the peer-reviewed International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care.
Successive Australian governments since 2013 have held asylum seekers in Nauru and on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea, before it was shut down by court order in 2017.
Since 2013 quarterly health reports have been produced by detention health provider International Health and Medical Services for the government that include information about the number of medical appointments and the reasons for them.
University of Greenwich researchers Ryan Essex and Erika Kalocsányiová used reports from 2014 to 2017 to create a longitudinal data set to compare onshore and offshore detention, and how they changed with time.
They used metrics that measured psychological distress, the number of appointments and prescriptions each quarter, and found offshore detainees generally needed far more medical attention.
Offshore detainees were more likely to raise a health-related complaint, access health services and be prescribed medications, often at two to three times the rate of those onshore.
Essex said the results substantiated the anecdotal evidence that had come from detainees and in a number of inquiries that offshore detention was far more detrimental to the health of refugees than onshore detention.
– AAP
Melbourne’s Suburban Rail Loop is a multibillion-dollar vision for a ‘city of centres’ – but how long will it take?

Benita Kolovos
When Dan Andrews’ Victorian government released the business case for the Suburban Rail Loop in 2021, in the middle of yet another Covid-19 lockdown, much of the coverage focused on the cost – $34.5bn for the first stage alone.
But contained within the 400-page document was also a new vision for the city of Melbourne. It read:
SRL is much more than a transport project.
It will transform Melbourne into a ‘city of centres’ – supporting vibrant precincts outside the central business district that will provide more high quality jobs, greater housing options, and green and open space in attractive, well-connected neighbourhoods.
After the release of draft vision papers this month, it’s becoming clearer how the project will reshape the first six areas along the SRL East line: Cheltenham, Clayton, Monash, Glen Waverley, Burwood and Box Hill.
Here’s what we know so far:
Queensland’s power demand expect to spike again as heatwave rolls on

Peter Hannam
Queensland is set for another scorching day as the sunshine state more than lives up to its moniker, according to the Bureau of Meteorology.
Queensland is in the midst of a multi-day heatwave, with temperatures tipped to rise into the mid-40C range in some inland places on Friday. Brisbane’s maximum is forecast to reach 37C, with nearby towns nudging 40C. (Source: @bom_au) pic.twitter.com/7jVmEO02oC
— @[email protected] (@p_hannam) December 28, 2023
Actually, it’s not just Queensland but also much of northern Australia that is roasting in unusually hot weather. (And while some people will say, “this is just summer”, it’s worth noting that native species have their thermal limits, as we’ve seen in past heatwaves.)
Across northern Australia, some high 40C temperatures may be reached in the next couple of days. (Marble Bar may be among the hottest with a 10-day stint of 45C+ days possible, including 48C forecast for Saturday.) pic.twitter.com/M8v1gnToPV
— @[email protected] (@p_hannam) December 28, 2023
The Christmas-new year period is typically one of relatively low electricity demand because most of industry is taking a break, and roof-top solar and solar farms are harvesting that sunshine.
So it was interesting to see Queensland had one of its heaviest days for power demand yesterday, with supplies nearing record levels, according to the Australian Energy Market Operator.
Given that today looks likely to be hotter than yesterday in the populated south-east of the state, it’s not surprising that Aemo is forecasting power demand to peak a bit higher.
Paul McArdle, an energy expert at Global-Roam, noted on his Watt Clarity website that the demand jump comes even as about 50,000 households remain offline because of the Christmas Day storms across parts of the state. (Media reports this morning put the number at about 35,000.)
As McArdle notes, we’re lucky the heatwave isn’t happening a bit later in the summer:
Imagine what would have happened to the demand levels had this same weather pattern hit us late in January or early February 2024 with industry and commercial industrial energy users back at work!?
He added that the state would “surely” break the all-time demand record of 10,119 megawatts if such heatwaves return then.
‘Only now are we starting to see some relief’
The price of petrol spiked globally after Saudi Arabia, Russia and Opec announced they would deliver sustained production cuts.
Record levels of oil production from the US and other non-Opec nations, coupled with ongoing uncertainty about the Chinese economy, has helped force downward pressure on prices and delivered petrol pump relief for Australian motorists this Christmas.
NRMA spokesperson Peter Khoury said Australia’s exposure to the volatility of world oil prices was painfully apparent:
Fuel prices – and in particular diesel – have had a negative impact on the budgets of Australian families and our nation’s economy throughout much of 2023 and only now are we starting to see some relief.
Australia’s economy runs on diesel with so much of our goods and services delivered by heavy freight. It also drives key industries like agriculture, mining and manufacturing so higher diesel prices throughout 2023 have reverberated across all sections of our society.
– AAP
Australia’s most expensive cities for petrol revealed
Drivers in Brisbane bore the brunt of record petrol prices this year with the Queensland capital the nation’s most expensive city to put fuel in the tank.
Regular unleaded cost on average 193.4 cents a litre, an NRMA analysis of 2023 petrol prices across the nation revealed.
It was a different story for Perth, which had the lowest average for regular unleaded at 183.9 cents a litre, cementing the city’s place as cheapest or second cheapest capital since 2017.
Adelaide, which has one of the strongest concentrations of independent service stations in the country, recorded the second cheapest price for the year at 186 cents a litre.
Sydney’s average of 190.7 cents a litre made the harbour city the fourth cheapest capital, despite being the nation’s largest market.
Record petrol prices and a continuation of highly volatile movements in global oil prices in 2023 contributed significantly to the nation’s inflation crisis and rising interest rates.
In September petrol prices reached the highest on record in Australia.
– AAP
(More to come on this one … )
Man accused of exposing himself to children at Melbourne beach
A 52-year-old man has been charged with lewd behaviour in front of teenage girls at St Kilda in Melbourne’s south-east.
Detectives arrested the man at Preston in Melbourne’s north-east yesterday after Victoria police in October called for the public’s help to find the person behind incidents in the St Kilda area on Boxing Day 2022 and January 8 2023.
Both allegedly involved a man approaching teenage girls then exposing himself and performing a lewd act.
The first took place on Beaconsfield Parade at Middle Park and the second happened near the water on the popular St Kilda beach, police alleged.
Officers raided a home at Heidelberg Heights in Melbourne’s north-east and seized a number of items before they arrested the man, who was charged with a total of 13 offences.
The charges included performing a sexual act in the presence of a child, directing sexual activity at another person, sexual exposure and committing offences while on bail.
The 52-year-old was granted bail to face Melbourne magistrates court today.
– AAP