Australia news live: father charged over Sydney house fire deaths allegedly locked doors to prevent people escaping, police say | Australia news

Father charged over Sydney house fire deaths allegedly locked doors to prevent people escaping, police say

Detective supt Daniel Doherty said they will allege the doors of the Lalor Park home had been locked and as a result, it “prevented those inside … to escape the fire.”

The neighbour – who performed very courageously – managed to force entry into the house and initially was able to save the 4-year-old and the 7-year-old boys, then went back in and saved the 9-year-old girl at the same time as the mother, and attempted to try to save the 11-year-old, the oldest. That was prevented by – we’ll allege – was prevented by the 28-year-old man.

Police also had to force entry and “wrestle with this man and wrestle the boy from his grasp, because he was holding onto him”, police alleged. The boy was then rescued.

Fire and Rescue NSW arrived and went into the house, finding the bodies of two boys who subsequently died in hospital, and were unable to save the five-month-old baby.

Share

Updated at 

Key events

Just circling back to the NSW police press conference on the Lalor Park house fire:

Detective supt Daniel Doherty said the “majority” of the children in the home were the man’s biological children:

But they’re his family, they’re his kids. There’s seven kids in that house … It’s a family home that’s been burnt down … three kids [have] lost their lives and the four that are remaining, they’ve lost their siblings and they will need some ongoing assistance and support, I’m sure, as the mother will.

Share
Josh Butler

Josh Butler

Albanese announces Labor candidates for Queensland

The prime minister, Anthony Albanese, is in Queensland today, announcing several Labor candidates for the coming election – due by mid-2025, but tipped by some to come earlier than that.

Albanese announced Rebecca Hack as the candidate for Ryan, the Greens-held seat in Brisbane’s west; and Rowan Holzberger for Forde, the LNP-held seat in the city’s south.

In good times or hard, Rebecca Hack is the kind of person you want in your corner.

And we’ve just announced that she’ll be Labor’s Candidate for Ryan.

She’s a Toowong local, a teacher and a dedicated member of her community. pic.twitter.com/isjvQWbTTM

— Anthony Albanese (@AlboMP) July 11, 2024

Albanese said of Hack:

She’s a Toowong local, a teacher and a dedicated member of her community. Working with our Labor government, Rebecca Hack will help tackle the things that matter: housing, cost of living, and climate change. She’s ready to be a strong voice for her community in Canberra.

Albanese gave a press conference in Forde, where he again criticised the Coalition’s nuclear energy plan, and once more urged against the idea of faith-based political parties in Australia.

Share

Updated at 

NSW police will allege domestic violence as part of motive but still investigating specifics

Asked about motive, Doherty said police will allege it is a domestic violence crime:

We allege that there is some type of domestic argument or dispute that may have led to this incident … However, we’re still putting that together.

Share

Updated at 

Mother released from hospital and attending vigil

Detective supt Daniel Doherty said the mother has been released from hospital and returned to the house to conduct a walkthrough with police:

Obviously [she is] devastated and heartbroken, but was supported through the walk through … She’s getting as much support as possible from family, friends and also from the counselling services.

Physically, she’s recovered. But emotionally, that’s probably a long journey ahead for her. And I do understand that that will be ongoing.

I understand that there’s a possible vigil this afternoon in Lalor Park, that she will be attending, I believe. But I believe that that is all part of the grieving process. It’s very new to her. It’s very raw. And we’ll support her through that.

Share

Updated at 

Police still determining if weapons were allegedly involved in arson incident

Asked if there were any weapons allegedly involved, Daniel Doherty said “there is some information there may have been a pair of scissors or some sort of sharp implement at some stage”, but this is still being determined.

He alleged:

However, what we can say is that he did light fires in the bedroom and then he went to the rest of the house and we’ll allege that he lit fires, we believe, through the use of an accelerant, and that led to an explosive situation, a large amount of fire and smoke.

Share

Updated at 

Father charged over Sydney house fire deaths allegedly locked doors to prevent people escaping, police say

Detective supt Daniel Doherty said they will allege the doors of the Lalor Park home had been locked and as a result, it “prevented those inside … to escape the fire.”

The neighbour – who performed very courageously – managed to force entry into the house and initially was able to save the 4-year-old and the 7-year-old boys, then went back in and saved the 9-year-old girl at the same time as the mother, and attempted to try to save the 11-year-old, the oldest. That was prevented by – we’ll allege – was prevented by the 28-year-old man.

Police also had to force entry and “wrestle with this man and wrestle the boy from his grasp, because he was holding onto him”, police alleged. The boy was then rescued.

Fire and Rescue NSW arrived and went into the house, finding the bodies of two boys who subsequently died in hospital, and were unable to save the five-month-old baby.

Share

Updated at 

NSW police will allege man is solely responsible for setting fires inside Lalor Park premises

Daniel Doherty said the man was taken off sedation last night, and spoke with police then and this morning.

He understands what’s going on … he understands that three of his children have died as a result of this house fire, and he understands he’s been charged with those nine offences.

He said there is still a lot of work to do in regards to the investigation.

There’s a large amount of forensic evidence still being looked at, there’s a lot of witnesses who have come forward. Still have interviewed the family, that’s ongoing, and also the children have been interviewed by the specialist police from the child abuse squad. There’s family and friend, associates – there’s a large amount of work still to do.

But what I can say in relation to the facts that have been presented to court today: Police will allege this man is solely responsible for setting fires inside the premises at Lalor Park.

Share

Updated at 

Update on NSW man charged with domestic violence murders after alleged arson blaze kills children

NSW police are providing an update after a man was charged with the domestic violence murder, and attempted murder, of his children.

As we reported earlier, the 28-year-old man has been charged with three counts of murder (domestic violence), five counts of attempted murder (DV) and destroying/damaging property with the intent of endangering life (DV).

Detective supt Daniel Doherty said the matter was heard in Parramatta local court today, and that the man appeared via a bedside court hearing.

The matter has now been adjourned to Penrith local court on 6 September, and the man has been bail refused, police said.

Share

Updated at 

Alice Springs mayor says he trusts Northern Territory police commissioner’s discretion

Paterson says there was one minor event during the curfew period, and people involved have been arrested. He said there are now additional police officers in Alice at the moment.

Speaking about the police commissioner, he said:

He’s got enough resources in Alice Springs. For any Territorian listening, I do, and you should be trusting the police commissioner’s discretion to run his agency and allocate the resources he needs to keep Territorians safe.

Share

Updated at 

Police Minister: Alice Springs curfew ‘played the role it needed to’

Potter:

I think the curfew played the role it needed to. We saw three of the four major incidents occurring at night time, where alcohol was involved.

Share

Updated at 

Authorities confirm Alice Spring curfew will not be extended

In Alice Springs authorities have announced they will not be extending a curfew.

Northern Territory’s Police Minister, Brent Potter, is speaking.

Share

Updated at 

‘Our focus is on the long term’ for Alice Springs, police commissioner says

The NT’s police commissioner, Michael Murphy, said that an additional ten officers started duty in Alice Springs yesterday with an additional 19 due to start in two weeks and 15 to be posted to the town at the end of the month.

The [public disorder declaration] is not a long-term solution, and I am mindful of the impact that decision has had on the broader community.

As commissioner of police I have a responsibility to listen to the community, to make sure that the best decisions are made to uphold the law and to maintain social order. The PDD has assisted in the short term by providing relief to the frontline, but our focus remains on the long term.

Police will continue to work collectively with government stakeholders, community members, and local service agencies to find long term solutions to the issues currently facing Alice Springs.

A general view of Alice Springs CBD from Anzac Hill. Photograph: Aaron Bunch/AAP
Share

Updated at 

Alice Springs curfew won’t continue, police commissioner says

The Northern Territory police commissioner says the curfew in Alice Springs will not be extended. The curfew declaration will conclude at 12.55pm today, local time.

A 72-hour stay-at-home order was issued on Monday for the red centre after a spate of violent incidents, including a brawl involving 80 people and a knife attack on a 42-year-old woman.

The commissioner, Michael Murphy, said in a statement that during the past three days, police engaged with 159 people, directing 93 to leave the area. Twenty were conveyed to the “care of other agencies” and 18 removed from the area by police.

No arrests were made in relation to the public disorder declaration, he said.

The declaration has had a noticeable effect in preventing public disorder within the CBD and I would like to thank the Alice Springs community for working with us.

There is currently no reasonable grounds for me to extend the declaration and I am confident we have capable police resourcing in Alice Springs to react and respond to any instances of crime or antisocial behaviour.

Share

Updated at 

Human Rights Law Centre calls on University of Melbourne to drop disciplinary cases against students

Caitlin Cassidy

Caitlin Cassidy

The Human Rights Law Centre has called on the University of Melbourne to drop ongoing disciplinary cases against students, warning it is opening itself up to “potential challenges” and could be operating in counter to the law.

Pressure is mounting on the university over the use of surveillance footage in its issuing of misconduct notices to around 20 students, which included CCTV footage and wifi location data.

David Mejia-Canales, a senior lawyer at the Human Rights Law Centre, said it was a “dark day in our democracy” when universities were “tracking and punishing their own students for peacefully protesting for human rights”.

Instead of tracking and monitoring student location data to be weaponised against students protesting a war, universities should be encouraging peaceful, respectful debate where diverse perspectives are respected and heard.

Tents at a pro-Palestinian encampment at the University of Melbourne in May. Photograph: Con Chronis/EPA

Mejia-Canales said the use of surveillance technology by the University of Melbourne to monitor protests “goes against the principles of privacy and human rights upheld by Victorian and international law”.

The University of Melbourne’s use of surveillance technology to target students during protests may undermine these fundamental principles and opens the university up to potential challenges.

A University of Melbourne spokesperson said it would not comment on individual matters. Prof Nicola Phillips said that “freedom of speech is foundational to our values and polices” at the university.

We have consistently stated that we recognise the right of students and staff to participate in peaceful protest.

Share

Updated at 

Religious group faces court over death of 8-year-old diabetic after alleged opposition to use of insulin

Andrew Messenger

Andrew Messenger

The trial of a Toowoomba religious sect over the death of 8-year-old diabetic Elizabeth Struhs is ongoing.

The court has heard father Jason Struhs was gradually convinced to join the group known as “the Saints” while his wife, Kerrie, spent time in jail. He was finally baptised in August 2021.

She spent five months behind bars for failing to supply the necessaries of life to Elizabeth in relation to a 2019 incident. The young girl was taken to hospital after a severe case of diabetic acidosis by her father, the court has heard.

The court heard the religious group allegedly believed she should not use insulin.

Crown prosecutor Caroline Marco laid out a series of phone conversations, letters and other messages between members of the group about their attempts to convince Jason to stop aiding her treatment program. Another member stopped using his glasses as a result of the belief, she said.

Elizabeth died in January 2022. The trial continues.

Share

Updated at 

ACCC to take The Good Guys to court

As reported earlier, the ACCC has said it will take electronic retailer The Good Guys to court over alleged breach of consumer law.

The Good Guys have released a statement responding to the allegations, authorised by chairman Stephen Goddard:

The Good Guys takes its compliance with the law very seriously and has a comprehensive compliance program in place. The Good Guys has always sought to provide value and benefits to its customers and has worked cooperatively with the ACCC throughout its investigation.

As this matter is the subject of proceedings in the federal court, JB Hi-Fi is unable to make any further comment.

(The Good Guys is a subsidiary of JB Hi-Fi).

Share

Updated at 

Calla Wahlquist

Calla Wahlquist

CEO of Grains Producer Australia in US hospital after being reportedly assaulted on work trip

The CEO of an Australian farming lobby group is in intensive care in the US after he was reportedly assaulted while on a solo work trip.

Colin Bettles, the CEO of Grain Producers Australia, was returning to his hotel in San Francisco after a casual work dinner on 4 July when he was reportedly assaulted and his phone and wallet were stolen. His injuries were so severe that he was placed in an induced coma.

His family sought the assistance of Nationals MP Michael McCormack when they were unable to reach him for several days. McCormack asked foreign minister Penny Wong to track him down. Bettles, a former journalist who was the inaugural president of the National Rural Press Club, worked for McCormack as a media adviser in between leaving journalism and taking up his role at Grain Producers Australia.

McCormack told News.com.au: “We found him thanks to consular officials going hospital to hospital, ward to ward.”

In a statement, Grain Producers Australia said Bettles had “experienced an injury while in the United States and is currently in hospital receiving care”.

The GPA Board is supporting his family and authorities to provide assistance where possible. GPA is grateful to our networks, the authorities and US health professionals for their assistance in ensuring his welfare and ongoing care.

Share

Updated at 

ACCC taking electronic retailer Good Guys to court over alleged breach of consumer law

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) are taking electronics retailer Good Guys to court over more than 100 promotions, run over four years.

The ACCC is alleging the Good Guys made false or misleading representations about their store credit and ‘StoreCash’ promotions, failing to provide store credit to eligible consumers.

The ACCC says thousands of consumers were affected due to details in the terms and conditions, including that they only had 7-10 days to claim the credit, “which many consumers were unaware of.”

The ACCC said 116 promotions were run between July 2019 and August 2023. It alleged the Good Guys said the only requirement to receive store credit was to make a qualifying purchase, which was not the case, because consumers were also required to opt into marketing communications.

ACCC chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb said the commission was concerned that “consumers may have purchased products from The Good Guys which they might not have done otherwise,” due to the alleged conduct.

The ACCC is seeking consumer redress, penalties, declarations, compliance orders, publication orders and costs. The Good Guys have been approached for a response.

ACCC chair Gina Cass-Gottlieb. Photograph: Lukas Coch/AAP
Share

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment