Search for woman trapped in rubble of Western Sydney townhouse ends in tragedy

A woman’s body has been found in the rubble of a Western Sydney townhouse, destroyed in a suspeceted gas explosion.

The body was found by search and rescue teams early on Monday morning, more than 30 hours after the blast in Whalan on Saturday afternoon.

WATCH MORE ON THIS STORY IN THE VIDEO ABOVE

Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Download today

Jasmin Mhey, aged in her 30s was the only person unaccounted for. The body is yet to be formally identified.

A frantic but delicate search to free her from rubble began but was hampered by wet weather.

Jasmin Mhey, aged in her 30s was the only person unaccounted for.Jasmin Mhey, aged in her 30s was the only person unaccounted for.
Jasmin Mhey, aged in her 30s was the only person unaccounted for. Credit: 7NEWS

Police in a statement on Monday morning confirmed the body had been found.

“Following an extensive search operation over the weekend, the body of a woman was found about 3.20am on Monday at the scene.

“The woman is yet to be formally identified.

“A report will be prepared for the information of the coroner.”

7NEWS understands she had been in a room under a large concrete slab at the time of the blast.

Neighbours on Sunday told of how the missing woman’s mother reacted when she found out her daughter was caught up in the blast.

“She broke out crying a couple of times,” neighbour Evelyn said.

“But then she kept saying, ‘my daughter’s strong, my daughter’s strong, my daughter’s strong’.”

Rescuers searched through the rubble brick-by-brick.Rescuers searched through the rubble brick-by-brick.
Rescuers searched through the rubble brick-by-brick. Credit: 7NEWS

Fire & Rescue NSW were searching brick-by-brick through a targeted area.

“Crews have worked through torrential rain,” Fire & Rescue NSW Commissioner Jeremy Fewtrell told Weekend Sunrise on Sunday.

“They’ve moved a large amount of debris, they’ve been exploring and searching any little cavity.”

Emergency services are yet to establish what caused the blast, which will be subject to a NSW Police investigation.

Police were initially called to reports of a gas explosion.

Gas mains were isolated at the property on Saturday so crews could safely step up their search and use concrete cutters to remove the debris.

If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie Guide.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a Comment