Snap two-week SHUTDOWN of construction industry confirmed after violent Melbourne protest

0 15

The Master Builders Association of Victoria has confirmed that the Andrews government will shut down all building and construction industry worksites in five key areas for two weeks.

The confirmation comes after protests against jabs for tradies turned violent on Monday in Melbourne.

“We have just finished a meeting with the Treasurer, Tim Pallas, together with Minister Pakula and Minister Allan – and we are sending this message ahead of any formal announcement,” the organisation posted on Monday evening.

“The Victorian Government has advised us that, as they are continuing to see an increase in COVID-19 transmissions in the building and construction industry, combined with the riots in Melbourne today, all building and construction industry worksites in Metropolitan Melbourne, Geelong, Surf Coast, Ballarat and the Mitchell Shire must close for a 2-week period from 11.59pm tonight, Monday 20 September 2021.”

Riot police had to be called in to deal with Monday’s hostile protest by workers outside the CFMEU’s Melbourne headquarters.

Police used pepper spray and rubber bullets to move the crowd, which took over the intersection outside the Queen Victoria Market.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews.
Victorian premier Daniel Andrews. Credit: DANIEL POCKETT/AAPIMAGE

The union released a statement just after 4pm on Monday, saying it has always supported freedom of choice regarding vaccination.

“We are not going to be intimidated by outside extremists attempting to intimidate the union, by spreading misinformation and lies about the union’s position,” the statement said.

The expected two-week pause comes after riot police were called in to deal with a hostile protest by workers outside the CFMEU’s Melbourne headquarters. File image.
The expected two-week pause comes after riot police were called in to deal with a hostile protest by workers outside the CFMEU’s Melbourne headquarters. File image. Credit: Jung Getty/Getty Images

“The CFMEU will always advocate for safety, jobs, and freedom of choice.”

A day after announcing Victoria’s roadmap out of lockdown, Andrews was forced to spend much of his time defending it.

“We have a game plan now,” he said earlier on Monday.

Police in riot gear are seen at a CFMEU protest in Melbourne.
Police in riot gear confronted protesters at the Melbourne HQ of the CFMEU. Credit: AAP

“So people can find fault with the national plan, they can find fault with the roadmap, and all of that.

“They’re blessed with not having to deliver all of these balancing acts and I’m happy for them.”

It comes as Victoria recorded its highest number of COVID-19 cases in the current outbreak, with 567 new locally acquired cases and one death – a Moreland woman in her 70s.

The state’s roadmap out of lockdown was released on Sunday, detailing small changes to restrictions when 80 per cent of Victorians aged over 16 have received a single vaccine dose.

Melbourne’s lockdown will remain in place until 70 per cent of Victorians are double-vaccinated, which is forecast for October 26.

A day after announcing Victoria’s roadmap out of lockdown, Andrews was forced to spend much of his time defending it.
A day after announcing Victoria’s roadmap out of lockdown, Andrews was forced to spend much of his time defending it. Credit: Charlie Rogers/Getty Images

At that stage, the city’s curfew will be lifted, the travel limit will increase to 25km and hospitality can open outdoors for 50 fully vaccinated people.

Once the 80 per cent double-dose target is met, forecast for November 5, the travel limit is scrapped, retail, gyms and beauty services will reopen for the fully vaccinated and hospitality will resume indoors.

Also under the plan, interstate and international travel can resume once 80 per cent of eligible residents are fully vaccinated.

The opposition and business groups have described it as “a roadmap with roadblocks”, saying the plan is too conservative when compared with NSW.

The roadmap is based on Burnet Institute modelling, which shows Victoria’s COVID-19 cases will peak at between 1400 and 2900 per day between October 19 and 31.

Source link

Denial of responsibility! NewsConcerns is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.